Reasons to use sunflower seed oil for skin
1. Hydrating & helps in protecting the skin barrier
Sunflower oil for the skin acts like an emollient meaning, it moisturizes & softens the skin. Linoleic acid in it helps to maintain the skin’s natural oils and barrier & has the ability to hold all the moisture in the skin. Sunflower oil also has anti-inflammatory properties which help a lot for dry skin conditions like eczema & fight off the bacteria, germs & infections on the skin.
2. Loaded with antioxidants
The sunflower seed oil contains Vitamin E, which is an antioxidant that protects your skin from free radicals and helps in treating mature skin problems like wrinkles & sun damage repair. Use skincare products formulated with pure sunflower oil.
3. It’s a natural botanical ingredient
Free from chemicals, toxins, and parabens. You can use it without worrying even in your pregnancy period.
4. Wound healing
Sunflower oil has oleic acid which is great for healing wounds faster & also helps lighten any scar marks
5. Doesn’t clog pores/non-comedogenic
Take all its benefits & this sweet guy won’t even clog your pores, unlike other oils. Great news for people with acne-prone skin. It is highly absorbed, non-irritating & suitable for all skin types.
How to incorporate sunflower oil into your skincare routine?
- You can find a lot of great moisturizers, creams & lotions in the market that contain sunflower oil & that’s one of the convenient ways you can incorporate the oil in your everyday routine.
- If you’re using the direct oil form, always buy an organic, cold-pressed sunflower oil & you can either mix a little amount of it in your cream/lotion or directly apply it on your face & body followed by a gentle massage.
- When applying it on the face, try to avoid applying it near your eyes. It might get inside & irritate you with the vision temporarily.
- Sunflower oil is a carrier oil, so you are free to add a few drops of any of your favorite essential oils.
How to use sunflower seed oil in skincare routine step by step
- Wash your face with a non-comedogenic cleanser
- Pat it dry
- Use a toner of your choice
- Apply any serum you like & massage it gently on your face & neck
- Now, take a few drops of organic cold-pressed sunflower oil, rub it in your hands to add warmth to the oil & apply it on your face & neck avoiding the near eye area.
- Massage it in a circular motion for 30 secs
- Layer it with a soothing moisturizer
- & Go to sleep…
You will wake up with such healthy skin!
How to store Sunflower Oil?
As sunflower oil is composed of less stable fatty acids, it is susceptible to degradation by heat, air & light which can trigger oxidation to the oil. So, to maintain & preserve its benefits & life shelf, keep your sunflower oil in a cool dry area, preferably away from sunlight in a dark bottle. Your bathroom cabinets work just fine.
Are sunflower oil & safflower oil the same?
Both sunflower & safflower belong to the same family i.e., Asteraceae but are different plants. They also evidently look different from each other. Sunflower plant is yellow in color like the sun, and has a round disc where it contains its seeds & petals origin point whereas Safflower is orange or yellow in color, doesn’t have any seeds & has more petals than sunflower.
Where exactly does sunflower oil come from?
This light-yellow oil is typically extracted by applying great pressure to the sunflower seeds & collecting the oil. The cold-pressed methods (labeled as ‘extra virgin’) are the best as they do not lower the viscosity, purity, flavor & nutritional value of the oil by putting any heat.
The warm pressured or hexane-induced processes of extractions may extract more oil from the seeds but degrades & oxidizes the quality of the oil compared to cold-pressed extractions. Also, a lot of healthy compounds are lost from the oil by hot pressing methods.
Are there any drawbacks of sunflower oil for the skin?
Sunflower oil is very gentle in itself & low risk but might not suit you if you have highly sensitive skin or if you have some nut, seed, or ragweed allergies.
Takeaway- Skin benefits of Sunflower oil
- Sunflower oil is a non-comedogenic, nonvolatile & botanical ingredient that works great for all skin types.
- It is high in vitamin E which helps in all premature signs of aging like rough skin texture, fine lines & wrinkles.
- The linoleic acid in sunflower oil protects the skin’s natural barrier & provides moisture & plumpness to the skin without weighing down the skin
- Oleic acid in it helps the wounds to heal faster
- Organic cold-pressed oil will be the best choice for your precious skin.
- If you are into using natural ingredients to enhance your beauty, also consider adding Aloe Vera masks to your beauty regimen.
- And here are some other tips on how to look pretty after you have gotten all your sunflower oil benefits.
Take all the benefits of this soothing & economical oil for healthy skin, Love~ Beauty Stroll
You may also like these articles
Glutathione injections- The complete guide