Lips are one of the most noticeable features on your face & plump lips with the perfect pout are taking the world by storm, thanks to Kylie Jenner!
Well, they can be achieved by anybody by lip-fillers/lip augmentation.
*Read till the end if you are thinking of doing lip fillers*
What are Lip-Fillers/Lip injections?
Lip fillers are made of a substance called dermal fillers which are injected into your lips to give that plump, pouty & bee-stung look.
There are 4 types of Lip fillers in the market
- Hyaluronic Acid Lip filler
- Collagen Lip Filler
- Permanent Silicone Lip Fillers
- Fat Transfer Lip Injections
We’ll start with the most popular & safest of all – Hyaluronic acid lip filler
1. Hyaluronic acid lip Fillers
Hyaluronic Acid is a humectant that basically pulls moisture onto the surface from within. HA is a natural substance that is abundantly found in the fluid form in the eyes & joints of our bodies but it starts to degrade with age. Hyaluronic acid hydrates the skin keeping the lipid barrier strong which means, no loss of moisture from the skin(epidermis) resulting in healthy & youthful skin.
For HA lip fillers, obviously use Hyaluronic acid to insert into the lips to decrease wrinkles, and increase lip volume, as a result, you have plumper lips. The best part is results are rapid & the filler is FDA-approved. This is a non-surgical procedure with the least but still, there could be chances of mild side effects. Like-
Sometimes extreme Swelling, Bruising, Redness, Itching, Slight pain, Bruising, Inflammation, Cold sores
Though, all these effects usually go away in a couple of hours on their own. If they do not go even after 3 days, you need to see the doctor again.
Does the injection hurt?
They are all premised with a local numbing agent called Lidocaine which you can say are anesthetic injections to avoid any discomfort & max pain during the procedure, still, they do hurt a little bit.
How long does the Hyaluronic acid filler last?
The effects of the fillers are temporary, say up to 6-9 months max, so for the desired results occasional maintenance treatments with your provider will always be there.
What is the cost of each injection?
Cost varies from $600-$800 per injection
How to find the provider?
Look for board-certified & experienced plastic or cosmetic surgeons or dermatologists.
Hyaluronic Acid lip filler procedure?
Before starting the procedure with HA fillers, your provider will ask you all about your current supplements or if you’re taking any medication. For example, Blood thinning medications are a strict No No.
Then, he’ll do the mapping of the areas for the injection sites. See the steps
- He will start by cleaning your lips area with an antibacterial solution.
- To reduce pain, topical anesthesia will be applied to the lips.
- As soon as the anesthesia is properly absorbed, he’ll start the procedure by injecting hyaluronic acid & will quickly massage the area.
- Now you & your provider will assess the results accurately before your lips are cleaned off.
- Ice pack at the end of the procedure calms down any mild redness or pain.
- The whole procedure takes just a few minutes & is performed quickly, and you can resume your work without any worries depending on your comfort level.
2. Collagen Lip injections
- You must’ve heard the word collagen a lot, Well Collagen is a protein that is abundantly found in our body and skin but as we age, our bodies stop producing ineffective quantity & that’s when collagen injections come into play.
- They are another type of dermal filler which obviously injects collagen into the lips, and we all know collagen is the ultimate source of firmness & youth.
- It reduces fine lines and wrinkles visibly & gives a pouty, voluminous look to the lips. Compared to Hyaluronic acid injections, they last longer up to 5 years.
3. Permanent Silicone lip fillers
- As the name suggests, they are damn permanent & don’t need any maintenance.
- They are lip-shaped implants, inserted via incisions made to the lips.
- The demerit is they feel less natural compared to other options & hence not very popular. Also, the procedure is not as easy as Hyaluronic fillers.
4. Fat Transfer lip injections
- Of course, they do wonders with the results just the procedure is different, perhaps a little more difficult than the easy HA injections, and thus has greater risk.
- Fat cells from your thighs, butt, and abdomen area are taken, processed, and injected into the lip area including smile lines.
- Fat Quantity can be taken from 2cc to 10 ccs depending on your desire.
- The recovery can take weeks. Meanwhile, you might face some uneasiness like chapped lips, weird stiffness, or even bruising.
- Eventually, it will improve & become attractive but it’s not an easy process for sure.
- Other demerits are, they require at least 3 sittings to complete the full procedure & their certain rate of absorption is always unpredictable which is the biggest worry after getting the whole procedure done.
- If you’re getting it done, make sure you find the best, board-certified surgeon for long-lasting results and minimum risks.
What to avoid after taking any of the Dermal fillers/injections?
- Heavy activities
- Sun/Heat exposure
- Avoid Anti-Ageing topical creams like any retinoids 2 days before & after filler
- Alcoholic beverages
- Pain relievers like Ibuprofen & Motrin because they act as blood thinners.
- Don’t use straws for drinking for a few days
- Don’t take any facials for two weeks
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, or tweezing the face for a few days
- Try and avoid makeup for a day at least
- Avoid taking Vitamin E as it can worsen the bruise
These Dermal fillers and procedures are not recommended for people who are
- Pregnant or nursing
- Have diabetes
- Have a history of blood clotting.
- Have a history of anaphylaxis
- allergies to gram-positive bacterial proteins
- Have herpes
- Are on immunosuppressive drugs
Some rare and uncommon side effects of these procedures can be
- Difficulty in breathing
- Delayed onset infections
- Blisters around mouth
- superficial necrosis at the injection site
- Vision changes
- Swelling that won’t go away
- Pigment changes
- Numbness of the lips
You know you must call 911 and go to the nearest emergency room as soon as you experience any of these uncommon signs.
Now, there are 5 kinds of Hyaluronic Acid
Read & choose carefully
Got FDA approval in 2006. Results of Juvederm dermal filler last around 1 year. They are only for adults 21 years & older. Types of Juvéderm-5
Juvederm Ultra XC, Vollbella XC, Voluma XC, ultra plus XC, Vollure XC.
- Ultra XC– Works on correcting Smile lines & lip enlargement.
- Vollbella XC – Correction around mouth lines & improve lip symmetry and adds fullness.
- Voluma XC– Adds volume to mid-face area & cheeks.
- Ultra plus XC – Works on smile lines & lines between the nose.
- Vollure XC – Treats fine lines and wrinkles around mouth & nose.
Hyaluronic acid concentration is higher in Voluma, Vollbella & Vollure hence it gives a long-lasting effect compared to the other kinds.
FDA approved. Restylane dermal fillers correct severe wrinkles, lines & folds, Results of Restylane last around 10 months. They are only for adults 21 years & older. Types of Restylane-4
Restylane Lyft, Resytlane Silk, Restylane Refyne & Restylane Defyne.
- Restylane Lyft – adds volume to the cheeks, works on wrinkles & adds volume to the back of the hands.
- Restylane Silk – It contains a very smooth gel for softer results hence gives more precise, natural looking results.
- Restylane Refyne & Restylane Defyne – Both correct Laugh lines. Refyne works on mild to moderate lines while Defyne works on moderate to severe or deep lines.
Works on sculpted lines and wrinkles, Types of Belatero dermal fillers-2
Intense Belatero & Volume Belatero.
They are both used to treat wrinkles and folds but Volume Belatero has an amazing lifting capacity and volumizing effects on cheeks.
Got FDA approval in 2017.Works on moderate to severe wrinkles.
They have a different range of products with differing gel densities, making each one specific to treat specific areas of the face starting from contouring to wrinkles and fine lines. The gel helps in bouncing back to its original shape after even stretching.
Ask as many questions as you want to, to your nurse, provider, or plastic surgeon before doing your lip augmentation. These are non-surgical treatments though but they have some potential risks. Research patiently & thoroughly the doctor you are going for. Check their previous work & follow all the aftercare.
Love~ Beauty Stroll