Growing age with mature aging signs on the skin & the way our physical appearance alters can be harsh for some. You cannot stop aging but most certainly can delay it! We try loads of things to buy us a few more years of that youth. From eating a balanced diet to all kinds of cosmetics, let me tell you! They all work. Yes. To a certain extent. They will buy you more time and might delay the early signs.
There are plenty of anti-aging options in the market from topical Retinoids to all sorts of cosmetic procedures but if you’re looking for something natural and gentle on the skin. Red light therapy will suit you. Read all about it.
What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy which is also known as Photo biomodulation therapy is an emerging therapeutic treatment that uses low-level wavelengths of red light between 670 nm to 830 nm to treat and reduce the appearance of aging skin concerns like wrinkles, saggy skin, fine lines, scars, redness, sun damage, and stubborn wounds.
Red Light Therapy is also rooted to treat other health problems like low energy levels, inflammation, depression, body pain, helps with cancer treatment, treats psoriasis, alopecia, slow muscle tissue healing and wound healing, recurring cold sores, sleeplessness, etc. Although there’s a lot of ongoing research and studies has been going on regarding the effectiveness of RLT for all these types of health uses.
Red light therapy is also known by other names like,
- Cold laser therapy
- Soft laser therapy
- Nonthermal LED light
- Low-power laser therapy
- Bio stimulation
- Photonic stimulation
- Low-level light therapy
How did red light therapy become popular?
Thanks to NASA! This low-level laser therapy for humans started to come into notice when NASA began to use this Red-Light Therapy for plant growth in space & helped heal wounds faster in astronauts.
Since then, the idea of using Red Light Therapy for increasing the human growth cells of the body & fast healing occurred. There has been ongoing research to test its efficacy medically.
RLT is already included & is considered helpful in photodynamic therapy. It plays a supporting role to activate another medication used in treating cancer. A low wavelength RLT is used to activate a photosensitizer drug & a chemical reaction that destroys cells. This procedure is used to treat serious skin conditions like cancer, psoriasis, warts, acne & even different types of cancer.
What other skin conditions does red light therapy work on?
- Stretch marks
- Reduced pore size
- Improved complexion
- Acne Lesions
- Rough texture
- Sun damaged skin
How does red light therapy work?
Red light therapy works by strengthening and activating the power plant of the body’s cells known as Mitochondria. The more powerful the mitochondria is, the more efficiently and energetically it can work on healing, repairing & producing of hormones in the body.
RLT boosts new cell growth hormones, stimulating more collagen & fibroblast production of the skin, making the skin tight, supple & youthful.
Does red light therapy really work?
RLT has potential but as of now, more studies are needed to be most certainly sure of the efficacy of the treatment in regard to certain conditions. Although a study of 2014 had shown quite affirmative results in terms of RLT increasing collagen density. The cells involved in collagen production stimulate from the wavelength of red light.
But there’s limited to no medical evidence that RLT helps with conditions like:
- Dental problems
- Weight Loss
- Treats any kind of pain
- Cures acne
- Hair loss
- Stretch marks
- Activates the lymphatic system
Results of red-light therapy so far look promising but require quality studies to be done with a large number of people to be medically certain for people to trustingly spend their money and time on.
Is red light therapy safe to use?
This low-level laser therapy doesn’t use UV lights or tanning beds. It is a non-invasive & painless procedure that is mostly considered safe when done properly. However, there are a few cases reported of burns from the RLT unit. A few people fall asleep with the unit in place while a few have faced problems due to broken wires in the unit.
Some people have also reported cases of eye burns and headaches. Also, people with photosensitivity to the skin should consult their doctors before trying RLT.
Overall, it’s safe to use at home. Just use the device carefully with proper eye protection and under the instructed time limit.
How is Red Light Therapy different from laser therapy?
Red Light Therapy is very much different from laser or IPL therapies in the way of working. It is very gentle compared to laser, microdermabrasion, or derma rollers.
Unlike these other therapies, RLT doesn’t cause any damage to the skin’s surface to induce tissue repair. It skips that part and directly stimulates the regeneration of the skin by penetrating the light roughly 5 mm below the skin’s surface. Also, RLT doesn’t use any harsh chemicals or creams to achieve bright skin.
How many treatments of RLT are required?
This is not a one-time treatment. It is an ongoing process that can be either done at wellness centers, salons, or now with advanced technology, easily at home. It’s completely dependent on your skin cell turnover rate, as soon as your cells become old, the result starts to diminish & you need more sessions.
How much does RLT treatment cost?
Precisely depends on the area of the treatment and the salon’s location but the general idea is $50- $300 per treatment. If you plan to take the treatment on regular basis, eventually ‘at home devices’ will be much more cost-effective compared to salon charges. RLT Devices/units at home can cost between $90-$600.
How much time does RLT treatment take to show the results?
RLT treatments start working & showing minor results from the very first session, but continued treatments of 3 months at least will give more lasting results.
- Red light therapy is not a FAD. It definitely has the potential for anti-aging benefits and a lot of people have reviewed it to be utterly relaxing, mentally. Physically also, there are reviews that it takes away all the mild body pain.
- Red light therapy is a procedure which uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to treat health and skin conditions. It uses a low-level wavelength of red light to increase the growth cells in the body by directly impacting and strengthening the mitochondria.
- It is highly popular for increasing collagen production, treating aging symptoms like fine lines and wrinkles and treating photoaging skin.
- RLT is a noninvasive technique that is gentle on the skin & penetrates 5 mm roughly below the skin’s surface to stimulate the regeneration of the skin.
- RLT has shown some promising results but from the scientific point of view, it needs more tests to prove its efficacy for better trust towards the treatment.
- You can add this red-light therapy device to your skincare routine if you’d like to spend some extra bucks, but results are not 100% guaranteed. Also, it’s a good idea to always check with your dermatologist before adding new things to your skincare regimen.
- You can buy RLT devices online. Check the reviews and the brand. Lastly, RLT is FDA-approved but won’t be covered under any insurance plan.
Love~ Beauty Stroll
You may also like these articles
- How to get fluffy and voluminous hair at home
- How to biologically reverse your age?
- 10 mistakes that are causing you wrinkles at faster pace
- Tretinoin VS Retinol